Ethos and Vision
The Axis team are passionate about providing opportunities for those students currently out of education or those who are not coping within a mainstream setting. With a highly-trained, specialised team, we support each student’s individual needs, particularly focusing on those students with mental-health issues, needing a safe, but aspirational environment to recapture an often lost passion for learning and creativity. We are pioneering in our approach to whole-school emotional intelligence coaching and support, working closely in tune with CAMHS, the SEN Team and other relevant agencies. We aim to offer a holistic and individualised education for each of our students.
‘Axis’ represents far more than just a name for a school. It neatly summarises our vision for the Academy, and expresses the ethos for education we strive to provide; an ethos focused on positive achievement and success at every stage.
- Axis – Centre: Student-centered education.
- Axis – Turning Point: Specialist curriculum; engages, inspires and promotes achievement.
- Axis – Support: Individual support plans engendering emotional resilience.
- Axis – Destinations: Successful learning; leads to positive destinations at post-16
We strive to empower children by giving them the tools to recognise and manage their own needs through a bespoke education, which focuses on mental health awareness and vocational subjects as well as academic subjects. This helps them see the relevance of what they are learning so they can relate it to the wider world.
We aim to:
- Inspire children to develop a sense of awe, wonder and curiosity
- Raise children’s aspirations, both academically and socially
- Make sure children build a strong sense of independence and to be resilient to the trials and troubles of life
- Inspire children’s minds and get them to think outside of the box with creativity
- Give children motivation and purpose, so that they move forward, with the belief their dreams are possible
- Provide a safe and secure environment, where everyone can learn, staffed with patient, understanding and trusted adults, who show them respect and empathy
The Axis Academy offers a nurturing, therapeutic educational setting. Each student is given an Individual Learning Plan as well as a Therapeutic Care plan. Our Pastoral Lead looks to support each child and their family from their initial meeting, building a profile, ensuring that each member of staff knows each child well and can adapt their approach accordingly, to reflect the needs of the student. As well as in-house support, staff work closely with a number of outside agencies to ensure holistic support for students and their families.